There's been a ton of change in my life, photography and business since I last posted a blog. Most of you reading this may be saying, "There isn't aren't any other blog posts here. What are you talking about?" Well, that's part of the change. This is a new website, on a new platform, with a new host. Hopefully I'll be doing more writing here in the near future and I'll update everyone on all the other massive changes over the past year-plus. For now, I'll start with these photos I did testing some technology.
Earlier in October I traveled to Pagosa Springs, CO, to visit family and friends. (Oh yeah, I moved to Denver.) It happened to be homecoming weekend so I went to the football and soccer games to shoot some photos. While I was at the soccer game, my former coach asked me if I would be willing to shoot another team photo for them like I had done the previous year. (If I come across it I'll post it here with the new version that I shot.) We scheduled to do the photos at the next practice and I also threw out the ideas of have the guys jump and do various things over crash pads and I would try to capture them using the hypersync capabilities of my strobes.
I programmed my pocket wizard for "highest energy" instead of "reduced clipping." With hypersync I was able to use shutter speeds much faster than my camera's x-sync or normal flash sync speeds. If I had used normal sync speeds we would have seen blurring of the guys jumping because we were shooting in daylight. using shutter speeds around 1/2000th of a second instead of 1/200th of a second allowed me to cut out a lot of the natural sunlight and freeze the action beyond the flash duration.
At the practice, after I photographed each of the guys individually to composite later we set up the crash pads and moved the strobes. Many of the guys stayed after practice and had a blast jumping around as we tried to get clean shots. For these shots I used three strobes, one on each side of the camera in front of the players and one camera left behind the players.
While I was going through the shots a few days ago (after I got a website back up and running!), I came across a technique on the internet showing how to shoot your own spirographs while light painting. I thought that combining light streaks and spirograph designs might be a unique edit for the shots, rather than a composite over some random soccer stadium.
Let me know your thoughts in the comments or if you have any questions.